Help Maryland Kids Enjoy a Hunger-Free SummerFree and reduced-price school meals disappear each summer for nearly 400,000 Maryland kids. Summer Clubs help bring them back. Help Us
What are Summer Clubs?
Our Summer Club Program helps feed children who would otherwise receive free and reduced-price school meals during the school year.
Summer Clubs are held during the summer at established community organizations, where children feel happy and safe. In between arts and crafts, sports and other activities, children receive nutritious breakfasts and lunches.
All meals are made fresh daily by professional Maryland Food Bank chefs in the Charles T. Bauer Community Kitchen, using local produce and other nutritious ingredients.
Summer Club meals receive federal and strictly adhere to USDA nutritional guidelines. The program is part of MFB Kids™, an initiative sponsored by Giant that provides children with the nutrition they need to grow healthy and strong.
Offering a safe space, friends and fun, Summer Clubs ensure that kids can be kids during the summer months.
Summer Childhood Hunger Facts
Summer can actually be can be the most challenging time of year for Maryland children. Did you know:
- Childhood hunger is most acute during the summer, according to the USDA
- Nationwide, only 3 million kids have access to free lunch and breakfast during the summer, as opposed to the 21 million who receive these meals during the school year
- Nearly 400,000 children in Maryland receive free or reduced meals through their local school
- Many kids also lose access to physical education programs and extracurricular activities during the summer
- After a summer without adequate nutrition or physical activity, students return to school disadvantaged and poised for failure.
Join Summer Club
Contact a Maryland Food Bank program coordinator today to learn about Summer Clubs located near you, or to explore potential partnership options.
Learn More About Summer Clubs
We Need Your Help
Programs, campaigns, and educational outreach at the Maryland Food Bank has always relied on the philanthropic support of charitable individuals like you.
Much like our food distribution efforts, outreach activities at the Maryland Food Bank rely on generous donations of money and time.
We hope you’ll consider a contribution.